Saint Cecilia School opened in the fall of 1909, under the direction of the Sisters of Divine Providence. Enrollment began with seventy students, from grades one to twelve. In 1964, the high school closed, due to an initiative to consolidate the Catholic high schools in Lafayette Parish. In 1974, the Sisters of Divine Providence announced they would no longer be able to serve the school. Since that time, the faculty has consisted entirely of lay teachers.
Currently SCS educates children in grades pre-kindergarten through eight. With two sections of each grade level, we are able to provide a strong learning environment, where each child receives individual attention. SCS strives to foster the development of students in the image of Jesus Christ, preparing them for their roles as tomorrow's Christian leaders. The faculty and staff are dedicated to promoting spiritual growth, academic excellence, and community awareness.
Eight years ago, the SCS Gala was born. This event is the biggest fund raiser held at SCS, and all proceeds go to the Capital Campaign, which was established in order to fund the new construction and building renovations on our 100+ year old campus. Since the inception, a new chapel, library, computer labs and fourth grade classrooms have been built. These structures are only Phase 1 of a 4 Phase project that serves to provide our children with state of the art technology and a 21st Century learning environment.